I’m currently in the process of configuring PST Capture in order to migrate all the user’s PST files to the recently configured cloud based Online Archive. As this wasn’t working properly, I contacted Microsoft and opened a support ticket. I’m getting the error “Import error: Error opening mailbox <mail address>” when I try to import the PST file into my Online Archive. During the troubleshooting of this error I came across a nice list of requirements for the PST Capture tool to function properly. This might help you to configure everything correctly.
- Please make sure that you have the 64 Bit version of Outlook installed and that it is installed on the machine on which PST Capture Tool is running.
- Please check if the user has the Mailbox Import Export permissions. If it does not have them, then please assign them using the following command:
</em>New-ManagementRoleAssignment -Role "Mailbox Import Export" -User "PSTImportUser"
- Please check that the Microsoft Exchange PST Capture Tool’s Service Account has an Exchange 2010 Mailbox.
- Please check that the PST Capture Tool’s Service Account is a member of Local Administrators Group.
- Please make sure that the PST Capture Tool’s Service Account is a member of Organization Management and also the Public Folder Management.
- Check that the Service Account is mailbox-enabled and has an Outlook profile configured for it.
- Please make sure that the correct Service Account is chosen for the PST Capture Tool. To do this, please go to Properties of ‘Microsoft Exchange PST Capture Service’ > Log on tab and check the Service Account.
Please comment below if you have questions about the PST Capture tool, or the above settings.