Sysadminsblog.com Anything for sysadmins!

2May/130

Dir Sync: Unable to establish a connection to the authentication service

Users reported that they couldn’t access their personal archives. The archives are stored on the Office 365 services and should always be accessible. Of course the first clue was located in the event viewer where I found the following errors.

Log Name:      Application
</p><p>Source:        Directory Synchronization
</p><p>Date:          2-5-2013 8:31:38
</p><p>Event ID:      0
</p><p>Task Category: None
</p><p>Level:         Error
</p><p>Keywords:      Classic
</p><p>User:          N/A
</p><p>Computer:      &lt;servername&gt;
</p><p>Description:
</p><p>Unable to establish a connection to the authentication service. Contact Technical Support. GetAuthState() failed with -2147186688 state. HResult:0. Contact Technical Support.  (0x80048862)
</p><p>Event Xml:
</p><p>&lt;Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"&gt;
</p><p>  &lt;System&gt;
</p><p>    &lt;Provider Name="Directory Synchronization" /&gt;
</p><p>    &lt;EventID Qualifiers="0"&gt;0&lt;/EventID&gt;
</p><p>    &lt;Level&gt;2&lt;/Level&gt;
</p><p>    &lt;Task&gt;0&lt;/Task&gt;
</p><p>    &lt;Keywords&gt;0x80000000000000&lt;/Keywords&gt;
</p><p>    &lt;TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-05-02T06:31:38.000000000Z" /&gt;
</p><p>    &lt;EventRecordID&gt;27537&lt;/EventRecordID&gt;
</p><p>    &lt;Channel&gt;Application&lt;/Channel&gt;
</p><p>    &lt;Computer&gt;&lt;servername&gt;&lt;/Computer&gt;
</p><p>    &lt;Security /&gt;
</p><p>  &lt;/System&gt;
</p><p>  &lt;EventData&gt;
</p><p>    &lt;Data&gt;Unable to establish a connection to the authentication service. Contact Technical Support. GetAuthState() failed with -2147186688 state. HResult:0. Contact Technical Support.  (0x80048862)&lt;/Data&gt;
</p><p>  &lt;/EventData&gt;
</p><p>&lt;/Event&gt;

Log Name:      Application
</p><p>Source:        FIMSynchronizationService
</p><p>Date:          2-5-2013 8:31:50
</p><p>Event ID:      6803
</p><p>Task Category: Management Agent Run Profile
</p><p>Level:         Error
</p><p>Keywords:      Classic
</p><p>User:          N/A
</p><p>Computer:      &lt;servername&gt;
</p><p>Description:
</p><p>The management agent "TargetWebService" failed on run profile "Full Confirming Import" because the server encountered errors.
</p><p>Event Xml:
</p><p>&lt;Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"&gt;
</p><p>  &lt;System&gt;
</p><p>    &lt;Provider Name="FIMSynchronizationService" /&gt;
</p><p>    &lt;EventID Qualifiers="49152"&gt;6803&lt;/EventID&gt;
</p><p>    &lt;Level&gt;2&lt;/Level&gt;
</p><p>    &lt;Task&gt;1&lt;/Task&gt;
</p><p>    &lt;Keywords&gt;0x80000000000000&lt;/Keywords&gt;
</p><p>    &lt;TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-05-02T06:31:50.000000000Z" /&gt;
</p><p>    &lt;EventRecordID&gt;27539&lt;/EventRecordID&gt;
</p><p>    &lt;Channel&gt;Application&lt;/Channel&gt;
</p><p>    &lt;Computer&gt;&lt;servername&gt;&lt;/Computer&gt;
</p><p>    &lt;Security /&gt;
</p><p>  &lt;/System&gt;
</p><p>  &lt;EventData&gt;
</p><p>    &lt;Data&gt;TargetWebService&lt;/Data&gt;
</p><p>    &lt;Data&gt;Full Confirming Import&lt;/Data&gt;
</p><p>  &lt;/EventData&gt;
</p><p>&lt;/Event&gt;

Log Name:      Application
</p><p>Source:        FIMSynchronizationService
</p><p>Date:          2-5-2013 8:31:50
</p><p>Event ID:      6110
</p><p>Task Category: Management Agent Run Profile
</p><p>Level:         Warning
</p><p>Keywords:      Classic
</p><p>User:          N/A
</p><p>Computer:      &lt;servername&gt;
</p><p>Description:
</p><p>The management agent "TargetWebService" step execution completed on run profile "Full Confirming Import" but the watermark was not saved.
</p><p> 
 </p><p> Additional Information
</p><p> Discovery Errors       : "0"
</p><p> Synchronization Errors : "0"
</p><p> Metaverse Retry Errors : "0"
</p><p> Export Errors          : "0"
</p><p> Warnings               : "0"
</p><p> 
 </p><p> User Action
</p><p> View the management agent run history for details.
</p><p>Event Xml:
</p><p>&lt;Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"&gt;
</p><p>  &lt;System&gt;
</p><p>    &lt;Provider Name="FIMSynchronizationService" /&gt;
</p><p>    &lt;EventID Qualifiers="32768"&gt;6110&lt;/EventID&gt;
</p><p>    &lt;Level&gt;3&lt;/Level&gt;
</p><p>    &lt;Task&gt;1&lt;/Task&gt;
</p><p>    &lt;Keywords&gt;0x80000000000000&lt;/Keywords&gt;
</p><p>    &lt;TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-05-02T06:31:50.000000000Z" /&gt;
</p><p>    &lt;EventRecordID&gt;27540&lt;/EventRecordID&gt;
</p><p>    &lt;Channel&gt;Application&lt;/Channel&gt;
</p><p>    &lt;Computer&gt;&lt;servername&gt;&lt;/Computer&gt;
</p><p>    &lt;Security /&gt;
</p><p>  &lt;/System&gt;
</p><p>  &lt;EventData&gt;
</p><p>    &lt;Data&gt;TargetWebService&lt;/Data&gt;
</p><p>    &lt;Data&gt;Full Confirming Import&lt;/Data&gt;
</p><p>    &lt;Data&gt;0&lt;/Data&gt;
</p><p>    &lt;Data&gt;0&lt;/Data&gt;
</p><p>    &lt;Data&gt;0&lt;/Data&gt;
</p><p>    &lt;Data&gt;0&lt;/Data&gt;
</p><p>    &lt;Data&gt;0&lt;/Data&gt;
</p><p>  &lt;/EventData&gt;
</p><p>&lt;/Event&gt;

When I started the Synchronization Service Manager at

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Online Directory Sync\SYNCBUS\Synchronization Service\UIShell\miisclient.exe

, it showed the error stopped-server-down.

Seeing that it couldn’t connect to some server I had to find out what server it was trying to connect to. In the Synchronization Service Manager I checked the Management Agents where in the properties of the TargetWebService I found the server that it was trying to connect to; https://adminwebservice.microsoftonline.com/ProvisioningService.svc.

After clearing the cache of the DNS services and flushing the DNS locally on the server I forced another full import which ran without problems.

Hope this helps you with solving your problem!

Be Sociable, Share!

Posted by Mischa Oudhof

Comments (0) Trackbacks (0)

No comments yet.


Leave a comment

No trackbacks yet.