Sysadminsblog.com Anything for sysadmins!

13Sep/1116

Event 6398 – Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPSqmTimerJobDefinition exception

Log Name: Application
Source: Microsoft-SharePoint Products-SharePoint Foundation
Event ID: 6398
Task Category: Timer
Level: Critical
User: domain.local\spfarm
Computer: server.domain.local
Description:
The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPSqmTimerJobDefinition (ID d470d42a-3a3e-46c2-8c54-98a33d11bec7) threw an exception. More information is included below.
Data is Null. This method or property cannot be called on Null values.

This error is obviously caused by the SharePoint Timer Service. This job doesn’t run properly because the data is Null. To find the cause of the error you’ll first have to find the Time Job that is causing it. In my case it was the CEIP Data Collection (Customer Experience Improvement Program).

  1. Go to the SharePoint Central Administration
  2. Click Monitoring
  3. Then click Review job definitions in the Timer Jobs section
  4. Find the Job that is causing the exception by hovering over the links and checking the GUID in there
  5. Click the job and click Disable

The error should now be gone!

Be Sociable, Share!

Posted by Mischa Oudhof

Comments (16) Trackbacks (0)
  1. Many thanks solved my issue

  2. The specificism of this error – null data – helped me as none of the microsoft tech net articles relating to Sharepoint health checking referenced this type of error. It is frankly appalling that a Microsoft Data Gathering agent for their improvement program finding no data is reported as a critical error.

    In my case, even though this was not having any operational effect at all, my Customer refused to pay citing the implementation as not complete until this alert was resolved. Didn’t take long to fix and thanks for the clarity of this article.

  3. Hi Mischa,
    Thanks for posting this. I am facing this issue and I am new to sharepoint admin. Can you please help me how to findout which job creating issue? I checked in monitoring -> Review job definitions. But I could not see the GUID there. Any where do I need to check this? Please help

    Thanks.

    • In the event you’ll find an ID. In the case above it’s “d470d42a-3a3e-46c2-8c54-98a33d11bec7“. When you hover over a job in the Job Definitions and look at the link, you’ll find a JobID parameter in there. This is the value you need to match to the ID in the event.

      http://server:port/_admin/JobEdit.aspx?JobId=d470d42a%2D3a3e%2D46c2%2D8c54%2D98a33d11bec7&Source=%2F%5Fadmin%2FServiceJobDefinitions%2Easpx

      You can also open a Job Definition and change the JobID part to the one in the eventid.

      Hope this helps!

  4. Hello…
    Thanks a ton 🙂 This helps a lot to resolve the problem. Great thanks again. Surely I will come back with another problem to get a solution… LOL.. 🙂

  5. Hi,

    Hope you are doing good. Again I am back with new query 🙂

    I need to get the user count, who is having their alternate contact in user profile DB. Is there any way I can get it? without custom code?

    • Unfortunately I haven’t found a way to itterate through the User Profile service yet, and I’m not completely sure what you mean. Do you want to know who filled out a alternate contact field in their profile, or do you want to know who actualy has a profile on sharepoint? Case 1 can apply to both. Case 2 only applies to the first option.

      1.Use PowerShell and user your Active Directory to itterate through all accounts calling the User Profiles service in every itteration.

      2.Use the search service to find all profiles that have an alternate contact filled out in their profiles. You will probably have to edit the search service to be able to search on this specific field

  6. Thanks a ton 🙂

  7. I am looking for the no.of contacts filled their alternate contact in their profile.
    I will check the both the options. Thanks again

  8. Great tip. The CEIP service is usually the one that causes this error. If you do not allow the Customer Experience Improvement Program at the web app.

  9. Good Works, Thanks. Basically the same outcome as the MS fix but a far easier path to get there. New SBS2011 install had this error and was fixed 2mins later. Thanks again.

    MS Fix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2616940

  10. User Profile Incremental Synchronization in sharepoint 2013 failed I disable it and rerun it but still showing synchronize without real syncronization


Leave a comment

No trackbacks yet.